Tag Archives: process

Database Content Creation Strategies

As mentioned in earlier posts, the business plan generator/algorithm works by pulling from a list of words that generate in the spaces allotted. It is stronger to use a process for authoring these lists that is objective (systematized / restricted) as opposed to subjective (authored by my own imagination) in order to provide the illusion of true artificial intelligence / automation. I have begun brainstorming strategies for discovering these words that matches the context of my thesis investigations.

The word-sets I need to create: “Problem”,”Opportunity”,”Market”, and “Genre.” Using twitter, a product invented in Silicon Valley (the target of the project), and the number 83 (the amount of cities in Silicon Valley), I have created a series of restrictions / guidelines for discovering each of these words. I have those posted here as well as some examples of what it produces.

Twitter (to find “problem”):

  1. search “annoying”
  2. “all” to reveal all related tweets in the search
  3. jump to the 83rd tweet
  4. record the “problem” evident in the tweet

Problems Generated: Shoulder injuries, Alcoholism, Bowlcut Hairstyle, too many drivers or over-population

Twitter (to find “opportunity”):

  1. search “awesome”
  2. “all” to reveal all related tweets in the search
  3. jump to the 83rd tweet
  4. record the “opportunity” evident in the tweet

Opportunities Generated: Talking animals, Bible Study

Twitter (to find “market”):

  1. search “these people”
  2. “all” to reveal all related tweets in the search
  3. jump to the 83rd tweet
  4. record the “market” evident in the tweet

Market Generated: People not from Seattle

It is interesting to compare this approach to word generation to the very first exercise I did in my thesis studies – the Serendipitous Business Model Generator (walking edition).

Business Generated: Park Benches for Dogs at Railroad Stations.

Moving forward, I will continue to collect these words as well as brainstorm and explore further strategies for objective content creation. I am interested in how the process of collecting can be one that is extremely extravagant and planned – almost an extension to the algorithm itself.

Mid-Thesis Review Process Poster

As part of my mid-thesis review installation, I decided to design a very long poster that aims to form connections between all of the work I have done thus far in relation to my thesis research.

In making this timeline, the following connections and relationships are made:

  1. The work has gone from subjective > objective. The initial systems provided an open space for the participant to conceptualize what the business might be, based on their generated content, but the new systems eliminate the room for that.
  2. My practice has developed to be a balance between experimentation and dissemination. The work, at various milestones or points of completion, is developed into the form of workshops or lectures given at various institutions.

1,000 Business Plans (part 01)

I am currently working on a new project, “1,000 Businesses,” that is a compilation of 1,000 algorithmically generated business plans. The project aims to step closer towards an automated system (as opposed to the 100% analog card game) in order to begin exploring the kinds of business plans an entrepreneurial machine might be capable of writing.

A bit of a discovery, however, has been found in the process of writing the algorithm itself. The executive summary is the first element to be generated, using my Serendipitous Executive Summary Generator, which spits out something like the following:After generating 1,000 of these summaries, a series of key-terms are extracted from each executive summary (i.e. opportunity, demographic, etc.), forming a database of words to pull from for each plan.

These terms are then manually inputed into the designated space(s) within each of the 1,000 business plans, as dictated by the algorithm.

Here is an example of an exported plan.

I’ve found that the process of generating this first output from my anonymous entrepreneur machine has been very reflective, and some what meditative, because it is so tedious and laborious. I currently have started 200 businesses, and am steadily working towards outputting the rest by the end of the week. I am very satisfied with the results thus far, as the range of businesses are beginning to go beyond the first-level “silly,” and more into the believable, yet strange, realm. While I do have some ideas as to where I might take the project next, I am going to wait until finishing the project to determine the best direction, so expect a post about some trajectories soon to follow.